Mathematics is a key subject in the Academy. We pride ourselves on providing a relevant, stimulating course for Key Stages 3 and 4. Students develop mathematical thinking which is essential for everyday life and in the workplace, dealing with business and finance. Mathematics is necessary for understanding science, engineering, technology and economics. Pupils develop functionality in mathematics and financial capability and are able to think independently, reason, solve problems and assess risk. Mathematics is creative and the language of mathematics is international.
The aim of the Mathematics Curriculum Area is that students will develop:
· The knowledge, skills and understanding needed to apply a range of mathematical concepts to situations which may arise in their own lives.
· An ability to think mathematically – precisely, logically and creatively.
· A willingness and ability to work independently and co-operatively.
· An ability to use mathematics across the curriculum.
· A firm foundation for appropriate further study.
· All members of the department uphold high expectations of their students and deliver high quality lessons, through differentiated teaching and learning strategies.
· Every child will be given the opportunity to maximise their mathematical development, by providing educational experiences appropriate to the age, ability and needs of our students.
Key Stage 3
Key Stage 3 students follow the National Curriculum in Maths for 4 hours per week. We support this by using a variety of resources that encourage students to discover concepts and develop understanding.
The five aspects studied in the 3 years are:
- Ratio and Proportion
- Handling Data
The Scheme of learning allows for the embedding of knowledge through the revisiting and extension of topics throughout the Key Stage.
Key Stage 4
Key Stage 4 students follow the Edexcel GCSE Mathematics 9-1 course and have 4 hours a week of teaching time and 30-60 minutes of homework set per week. This is a 2 year course that is examined at the end of Year 11. The course has 2 tiers, Foundation (5-1) and Higher (9-4).
We provide a full range of resources to support the students through the course that are either handed out, online or can be purchased through the academy.